Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption


Ballarat Highlands Bowls Region President’s statement – Ian Guymer

Unfortunately, I cannot give you and your members any clarity on when our season will commence or for the possible format on how pennant will be conducted this season.

The Region Board have had discussions internally and of course, BV continues to have contact with the State Government. The way forward is not clear as you can imagine, enough to say that in all likelihood vaccination rates will hold the key to any sport commencing their season.

Regional restrictions are set to be modified next Thursday, but to what they might be we can only guess.

As a Board, we will be responsible for how we conduct bowls this season, but will always be guided by State and Local Government requirements. We are not health experts and so will be guided by the professionals and their expert advice.

I realise the start of the season is fast approaching so what I think I can say is with no prospect of training or practice matches in September it will be difficult to start the season on time, I think we can all agree on that.

As soon as we can we will announce on what date the season will start and under what conditions. It will be important that you encourage all your members to be vaccinated as soon as they can to assist everyone.

thanks for your time

Ian Guymer

Possible scenario

Personal comment – From listening to yesterday morning’s State Premier’s COVID conference it would appear those who have had received both doses of the COVID vaccination are likely to have more privileges from any applicable COVID restrictions. I understand there may be some relaxing of restrictions for regional Victoria to be announced by this Thursday subject to favourable conditions but these may only be moderate.

The Region Board are scheduled to meet on 17th September to deliberate on whether any amendment to this season’s Pennant competition and rules will be necessary for compliance with the current COVID environment.



Resurfacing the top “Serviceman’s” Green

GI advises that the contactor is experiencing some delays due to COVID restraints so consequently we may experience a slight delay of a few weeks before the new carpet can be laid on the green.

GI has asked that we do not step onto the top green as we don’t want to transfer the moss contamination on that green onto the bottom green.

As you can see in the images below, things are well and truly underway with the construction site. Please keep up to date with how to safely enter the greens and to adhere to covid safe requirements such as check-ins.

A draft draw has been made available on the Pennant page. Please understand that this is only indicative at this stage and may change.